Thursday, February 4, 2010

Basic Hand Drumming Class is Rockin'

Thanks to a great turnout for this season's class series through Howard County Rec and Parks, my Basic Hand Drumming class is rockin'!  I have 22 people in the class (17 showed up tonight), and it just makes it so much fun when you have that kind of critical mass.  

In our second class tonight we started by reviewing the basic sounds and working through some practice rhythms.  I introduced the first rhythm that we will be learning - Groove Safari.  This piece is a composition I created that utilizes universal principals as well as diverse cultural elements blended into a very funky polyrhythm.  We played the first two parts tonight and it was kickin'.  It was cool to see when things just clicked together and sounded so solid.

Our class next week will meet at the Rec and Parks office on Oakland Mills Road.

J

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jonathan,

    Your class sounds great...wish I was able to make it. I would love to see the notation or maybe hear a portion of the rhythm you described...

    Take Care,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete